2. What sets Appleridge Stone apart from the other manufactured stone?
Our durability, lower water absorption, and our ability to custom color.
Please click to visit the Why Choose Us? page
3. What’s the advantage of manufactured stone vs real stone?
Manufactured stone is lighter weight (it does not require a footer), it’s less expensive to buy and install.
4. Can I buy at your showroom?
Although we would like you to support our dealers, you can buy directly from us.
5. Can I install it myself or do I need a mason?
Be attentive to detail and follow the recommended installation procedures. You can do a quality job if you don’t rush it. A poor installation can make any product look bad.
6. Anything special I need to know when installing a drystack stone outside?
Make sure the mortar seals the back of the stone on all sides. This will aid in weatherizing. Any moisture needs to run around the stone and not behind it. Moisture behind the stone will eventually pop the stone.
7. I need to return some stone.
Returns are subject to 25% restocking fee. We reserve the right to refuse returns of opened or altered boxes of stone. No returns on special orders.
8. When I open a new box, the stones are darker than I expected
These could be fresh stones that have not completely cured yet.
9. Can I apply stone directly to brick or block?
Yes. As long as the brick or block has never been sealed or painted. If it has, then a wire lath will need to be installed before the stone is applied.
10. Can I apply stone directly to cement board?
No. We still recommend installing metal lath to the cement board before the stone is applied.
11. Can I go to grade with Appleridge Stone?
Yes. Most manufactured stone must be 4” above the ground. Our stone has a low water absorption enabling it to be installed to grade level.
12. Is there an optimum temperature to apply the stone?
The air temperature should be 40 degrees for a minimum of 72 hours after the last stone is set.
13. Do I need a footer or support ledge?
No. Our manufactured stone is lightweight and does not require a footer or ledge.
14. Does the stone need to be sealed?
Our stone has a very low moisture absorption but we cannot guarantee the mortar, therefore it is the customer’s option to seal or not. (If using our stone as a backsplash, we do recommend a sealer.) If you decide to seal we recommend a siloxane-based sealer.
14. I got some mortar drippings on the stone. How do I clean it?
(a) on small areas – let mortar dry completely, knock mortar off, brush with a stiff nylon brush (do NOT use a steel brush); or (b) on larger areas – try Sure Klean 600 Detergent New Masonry Cleaner by Prosoco (available at Appleridge). NEVER use acid for cleaning. DO NOT pressure wash.
15. Can I get special colors?
Yes. Please talk to one of our associates about custom coloring.
16. Will the stone fade?
The base color is throughout the stone. Other colors are absorbed in the manufacturing process. Like real stone there can be slight color changes after weathering for years.
17. Can I use this stone as flooring?
Our stone is not made for foot traffic.
18. How much does a box of stone weigh?
Depending on the stone pattern, boxes vary from 80 to 95 pounds.
19. How thick are the stones?
Stone thickness varies to 1 1/2” (Textured Ledgestone to 2”)
20. Are they individual stones or a panel of stone?
Our stones are all individual stones
21. What is efflorescence?
Efflorescence is a fine, white, powdery deposit of water-soluble salts left on the surface of masonry as water evaporates. Three conditions must exist before efflorescence can occur.
1. Soluble salts in the wall
2. A source of water that comes in contact with the salts and forms a salt solution
3. A pathway for the salt solution to migrate to a surface and evaporate.
Breaking the chain of conditions for efflorescence can be done with good details, the correct materials and quality construction.
30 years from date of installation. It will not flake, peel or blister. Surface colors will not run or streak in normal weathering. Does not include damages resulting from improper installation, willful abuse or negligence. Warranty does not include damage resulting from settlement of the building, movement in foundation or walls, or other failures of the structure. This warranty does not include surface discoloration due to air pollution, exposure to harmful chemicals, efflorescence, oxidation, or normal weathering of the surface.